The Information Technology (IT) department supports the organization’s work by presenting reliable and scalable application development and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the United States and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
The Support Technician will be primarily responsible for providing support for our internal users on the use of their laptops and desktops. Through our ticketing system and the telephone, they will present users with solutions to questions and issues with their computer hardware and software.
Major Job Responsibilities
Customer Service and Communication
- Professionally, respectfully and effectively represents IT Team members, and IRC services to the users.
- Keep proper notes of issues and troubleshooting steps taken within our ticketing system.
- Take ownership of events assigned to ensure issue resolution and user satisfaction.
- Adhere to internal audit responsibility policies and procedures and communicate the same to the end-users.
Technical Skills – Level I Help Desk Support
- Provide Tier 1 & 2 help desk support over-the-phone and on-site,
- Configure, deploy, maintain, troubleshoot and support Windows 7 and 10 and PCs Macintosh workstations and, laptops, printers, mobile devices, phones, and other computer and telecommunications equipment.
- Create and maintain user accounts in AD Manager and O365 (user, network, security objects).
- Filters HelpDesk calls and provides support and troubleshooting, such as password resets, toner replacement, break/fix, and escalation to higher level support.
- Apply knowledgebase problems and assist users: problem identification, instruction, and resolution of issues.
- Install anti-virus software and ensure virus definitions are up-to-date.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups with the end user and team members as required.
- Evaluate documented recommendations and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems; alert management to emerging trends in incidents.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Administrative Tasks & Record Keeping
- Validate knowledgebase articles and user documentation.
- Assign tickets and monitor/attend to the unassigned queue(s) in the ticketing system.
- Close tickets within established service levels.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to Senior Manager Service Desk
Position directly supervises: N/A
Other Internal and external contacts:
The technician will work independently, and in a team, the setting is on a daily bases. He/she will interact with vendors as needed.
Internal: Team Leads, Technicians, System Engineer, Desktop Engineer, Network Engineers, Knowledgebase Manager
External: Vendors: Phone vendor, MAC support,Printer Vendor, Microsoft Support, and others as needed.
Education level: College degree or equivalent certification
- 1-3 years of experience in help desk/desktop support position
- Experience with Active Directory, and O365
- Outstanding communication skills – both written and verbal
- A genuine desire to patiently help others solve technical issues
- Knowledge of advanced computer hardware, including desktops, laptops, smartphones, and networking devices
- Experience with Microsoft and MAC Operating Systems
- Working knowledge of a range of software and hardware diagnostic tools.
- Experience working with service desk best practices.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening and questioning abilities.
- Strong documentation skills.
Certificates or Licenses: A+ Certification
Working Environment: The job position will work in the Kenya, Nairobi Office and is expected to be on-site. Standard office work setting. This is the afternoon shift.
The IRC and IRC workers must strictly adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. Following these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Fiscal Integrity, Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, and Anti-Retaliation.